Monday, March 2, 2009

Mr. Chambliss

I thoroughly enjoyed the message Mr. Chambliss was trying to portray. As I continue down this path of education, I become more and more curious about where I'm going to end up. Before this year, I always thought about eventually going back near home and teaching at a school near by, because of that comfortable feel and am familiar with the community and surrounding area. I see it as a great place to raise a family, and a great place to live in general. However, lately I've been thinking about alternate plans. After tonight's visit from Mr. Chambliss, it has only fed to my idea of searching for other opportunities. His educational experience from extremely diverse, through comfortable middle to upper class, is a great model for to be educators. There is so much out there, why limit yourself? I agreed completely with his outlook on extended stay teachers, where they stay for 30 even 40 years at the same school, same grade, same subject, etc. It truly takes an absolute patient, and master instructor to do so, but for us normal educators, aiming to become great, I think we need to keep our minds open for any opportunity; whether it be in your comfort zone or not, because as educators, we too still have the necessity to learn every day.
I'd also like to build on his final thought of the night: A life of public service offers many rewards. That right there provides me with the motivation to become a teacher. It's not just about job security, or a solid 401K plan, although it is a nice bonus. But as I strive to become a notable music director, giving students the gift of music and a lifelong appreciation, call it cheesy, is the greatest reward of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment