Wednesday, May 13, 2009

One-to-One Laptops?

Though it is a great idea, I think a laptop for each and every child in the classroom is dangerous. We would like to think the students are sitting at their desks typing the lesson we are teaching, but the probability that some of them are playing a game of solitaire is high... You can preach all you want about the importance of paying attention even though you have such technologies at the tips of your fingers, but a kid will be a kid. I know I will admit, I'm twenty years old, and in ed psych I'll still catch myself playing a game of hearts or checking my e-mail every once in a while. Imagine putting a computer in front of every child in an elementary school... GOOD LUCK! Now I know we are trying to go green these days, but there is nothing wrong with giving a student a pencil and paper and making them write. Something I've noticed is that children are starting to have worse and worse handwriting skills... Giving them a computer would not change their writing ability, but what about standardized essays? If a teacher cannot read your handwriting, it could be a problem... There is some value in hand written material, and believe it is our best bet in teaching... But once we get a better hold of technology, maybe make that transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment